Saturday, November 28, 2009

Animal Representation in Literature

For those of you interested in academic activism, I've started a blog related to independent work I'm doing on animal representation in Toni Morrison's Beloved. While literary analysis may seem the furthest thing from grassroots animal rights activism, I propose that conventions of animal invisibility in certain texts shed light on the process through which animal oppression emerges in broader contexts. My independent work will explore how Morrison deliberately renders animals invisible in an attempt to perform the way institutional oppression is silenced and normalized. I will also look at the rise of American dairying and the contribution these breeding/taxonomic practices had on slave treatment.

It's a work in progress, so if you are interested in Beloved or animal studies, I would love your feedback. Read more here: http://belovedbeasts.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment